Re: Problem with createdb & case (7.1.3)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Chr(dot) Rossmanith" <cr(at)neuro(dot)ma(dot)uni-heidelberg(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with createdb & case (7.1.3)
Date: 2001-10-19 17:34:47
Lists: pgsql-novice
"Chr. Rossmanith" <cr(at)neuro(dot)ma(dot)uni-heidelberg(dot)de> writes:
> # psql "NEUROMR"
> Connection to database 'neuromr' failed.

Hmm.  psql seems to be downcasing your database name for you.
But it hasn't done that in a long time ... not since 7.0, at least,
which is the oldest version I have handy to check.  Are you
sure your psql program is up to date?  (Try psql -V to see the
version of psql itself.  If it doesn't give you one, it's
definitely too old.)

I think that in older psql versions it would work to say
	psql '"NEUROMR"'
(you need the extra quoting level to keep the shell from stripping
off the double quotes).  But we got rid of the auto-downcasing
feature for database names entered on the command line, because
this was too much of a pain in the neck.