Re: Installation Report for powerpc-apple-netbsdelf1.5

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: "Henry B(dot) Hotz" <hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, prlw1(at)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk, PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Installation Report for powerpc-apple-netbsdelf1.5
Date: 2000-08-05 02:20:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> I think what you're supposed to do in NetBSD is what was said earlier
> (-Wl,-R/usr/whatever/lib).  Sounds like that conflicts with a lot of
> people's beliefs about how to do it on a lot of other platforms
> though.  It also breaks the "try the regression tests before
> installing" feature.

Not necessarily, since you can override the rpath setting with
LD_LIBRARY_PATH (at least on Linux and presumably other gnu-capable
systems).

However, the link set will fail if the path to the directory does not
exist (again, at least for gcc/g++ on Linux and Solaris). That may not
be a problem for most package builders (since things will go in a
standard place) but will cause problems for installing into standalone
areas. Especially for, as you point out, testing before installation.

                     - Thomas