Re: Access complains : Update or CancelUpdate without AddNew or Edit

From: "Richard Broersma" <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Fred Parkinson" <FredP(at)abag(dot)ca(dot)gov>
Cc: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Access complains : Update or CancelUpdate without AddNew or Edit
Date: 2008-03-21 19:53:50
Lists: pgsql-odbc
On 3/21/08, Fred Parkinson <FredP(at)abag(dot)ca(dot)gov> wrote:

> But now and then a user reports a error (I have to translate):
> .. event before update caused an error:
> Update or CancelUpdate without AddNew or Edit

I've only seen this error in MS-Access when I've done one of two things:

I've tried up manually update or cancel an update to a record (in a
recordset object) that wasn't already opened for editing or opened as a
newly created record.

This should be the only way that this error message should be raised.

I would use the DEBUG find utility to search all of you form's code for
any instances where the DAO recordset methods are being used to update your
form's recordset object.

I would bet that user is able to call one of these methods via the form's
control's event procedures at an unexpected time when the record has not
recieved any changed from the user.

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.