Re: Back online

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Back online
Date: 2000-05-31 15:47:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > I've got a Fujitsu MO640 SCSI disk drive. At the moment, the system is
> > very unhappy with it; when I write to it the system ends up trying to
> > write to sectors way off the end of the drive, which throws SCSI errors.
> > In looking at Altavista, most of the matches on a reference to this
> > drive are in Japanese :( Any hints from the web would be appreciated.
> > I'm running Linux 2.2.14 from the Mandrake 7.0.2 distribution. My old
> > RedHat 5.2 system required kernel patches (which I had gotten from a
> > site in Japan), but ran with the drive without problems. btw, the
> > fundamental problem is with the 2048byte sector size on the disk.
> I have found Fujitsu's hard disk drives page written in English.
> http://www.fujitsu.co.jp/hypertext/hdd/drive/disk_e.html
> I could not find exactly the same drive you are using on that page,
> however.

Ah, that is because the MO640 is a magneto-optical drive, which is
usually listed in a different area of the company.

When I did an Altavista search on "MO640" many of the references were in
Japanese (and a few in German), and I was hoping that there would be
some mention of how to use the drive with Linux 2.2.x kernels. If you
have a chance to look, that would be great.

TIA

- Thomas