Re: [HACKERS] Re: aliases break my query

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Joseph Shraibman <jks(at)selectacast(dot)net>, "pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: aliases break my query
Date: 2000-05-31 02:04:12
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-sql
> At one time Bruce had made some patches to emit informative notice
> messages about implicit FROM entries, but that got turned off again
> for reasons that I forget...

It was triggered with common cases from the "outer join" syntax. It took
a while to track down since it was introduced while I was working on the
syntax feature :(

If it *really* needs to be put back in, then we should do so with a flag
so we can disable the warning at compile time, run time, and/or in the
outer join parser area. But imho sprinkling the parser with warnings for
allowed syntax is heading the wrong direction. If it is legal, allow it.
If it is illegal, disallow it. If it is confusing for some, but works
fine for others, it shouldn't become "sort of legal" with a warning.

                   - Thomas