Re: [GENERAL] Case sensitivity

From: Dana Powers <dana(at)fphome(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Case sensitivity
Date: 1999-09-20 15:58:50
Lists: pgsql-general
> > I am evaluating whether it is possible to migrate our Contact manager
> > system to Postgres on Linux, but I am having difficulty because the
> > client software was most moronically programmed to access tables using
> > wildly different case structures, i.e. a table might be created
> > 'MYTABLE', and accessed 'mytable', 'MyTable' or 'MYTABLE' depending on
> > the context. Is there anyway to disable case-sensitivity in this case,
> > either through Postgres config, or the ODBC drivers? I have no access to
>
> We have no trouble accessing tables with different case.  TABLE, Table,
> table and taBLe are all the same to us, unless you put the table name in
> double-quotes.

The problem is, if you create a table without "", the table name
defaults to lower case, and all non ""ed references to the table also
default to all lower case but if you create a table with ""s you cannot
access it unless you specify all references to it also in ""s. My
question is, is there anyway to nullify the "" behavior and set all
tables to lowercase?

Dana Powers
powersdp(at)ctrvax(dot)vanderbilt(dot)edu