Re: [HACKERS] ANSI SQL compliance

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Jernej Zajc <jernej(at)4u(dot)net>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)trust(dot)ee>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] ANSI SQL compliance
Date: 1999-08-31 06:46:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > is there any rough estimate of when Postgres ANSI SQL compliance
> > > is planned to be implemented? Will it be in 6.6, 6.7, or later?
> > There isn't any master plan that says "we will have every single
> > SQL92 feature implemented by release N". (In fact, as far as I
> > can tell there's no master plan at all ;-).)
> AFAIK there is no single dtatbase, commercial or free, that has
> every single feature of SQL92 implemented.

Most commercial databases claim SQL92 compliance based on compliance
with the simplest, lowest level defined in the standard. We have many
features of the two higher levels, as well as stong compliance with
the lowest level. We also have significant extensions, some of which
now appearing in the SQL3 draft standard (and pioneered by Postgres).
We claim to be a "extended subset" of the SQL92 standard, which seems
accurate.

As was suggested earlier, you must be more specific about which
features you feel are missing. Some may be coming soon, some may be so
ill-conceived that we would be foolish to damage Postgres by
implementing them, and some may be reasonable to do but farther off in
time.

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California