Re: PERSISTANT PREPARE (another point of view)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Milan Oparnica <milan(dot)opa(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PERSISTANT PREPARE (another point of view)
Date: 2008-07-11 23:42:41
Lists: pgsql-sql
Milan Oparnica <milan(dot)opa(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> [ much snipped ]
> What could we gain by introducing a kind of global prepared statement area, is SIMPLICITY of DB DEVELOPMENT AND MAINTENANCE.
> The idea is: LETS SEPARATE SQL STATEMENTS FROM APPLICATION CODE.

Most people around this project think that the best way to do that is to
push as much logic as you can into server-side stored procedures.  That
gives you every advantage that a persistent-prepared-statement feature
would offer, and more besides:

* you can push procedural logic, as well as SQL, out of the application

* you can improve performance by reducing the number of network round
trips needed to accomplish a multi-SQL-statement task