Re: BUG #2072: CPPFLAGS clobbered

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Keith Randall" <randallk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2072: CPPFLAGS clobbered
Date: 2005-11-26 16:39:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Keith Randall" <randallk(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> In src/template/linux the
> CPPFLAGS="-D_GNU_SOURCE"
> overrides command-line CPPFLAGS
> I change it to
> CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -D_GNU_SOURCE"
> and am back in business.

That's pretty much entirely the wrong way to fix it; or at least it's
inconsistent with the way we handle CFLAGS etc, and doing it this way
would require touching every template not only linux.

I'm thinking that configure.in should handle template CPPFLAGS settings
the same way it handles CFLAGS, ie, command line settings override the
template. Probably LDFLAGS too.

BTW, why do you feel a need to override CPPFLAGS in the first place?