XML (was: 2 patches)

From: Goran Thyni <goran(at)kirra(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Cc: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: XML (was: 2 patches)
Date: 1999-01-01 15:11:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Yesterday I posted a quick patch to make libpq able to output
some home brew (but valid) XML as an alternative to normal and HTML3
output.

The propose was to start a discussion how we could use XML in PgSQL.

I mentioned in my previous mail I would like to use XML in the FE/BE
protocol. That would leav us with 3 protocols, the current one, CORBA
and XML. But I would argue that CORBA and XML are more related since
they are both object based. In the long run the current protocol could
be dropped.

Pro and cons of using XML:
+ Object-oriented (fits well with our ORDBMS project)
+ Clear text (easily debugged)
+ Easliy display in next generation network tools (even without
middleware in some cases)
+ In coupled to DOM, easily manipulatable both on server and/or client
side.
- In theory a little slower than an binary protocol.

XML is a buzzword, but it has enormous potential,
and it is not foreign to the pgsql community since
we are already using the father of XML (SGML) for
the docs.

Suggestion:
CORBA and XML should replace current FE/BE-protocol for v. 7.0
Comments?

best regards and a wishes for a good 1999,
--
Göran Thyni