Installing PostgreSQL 8.3 and DBI-LINK on Windows.

From: "Hartman, Matthew" <Matthew(dot)Hartman(at)krcc(dot)on(dot)ca>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Installing PostgreSQL 8.3 and DBI-LINK on Windows.
Date: 2009-05-17 14:35:38
Lists: pgsql-novice

Good morning.

I am trying to encourage my department away from our dozens of
installations of SQL Server 2000/2005. My goal is to use PostgreSQL
instead. To that end, I am using PostgreSQL in one of my next projects.

I have installed PostgreSQL as part of a Bitnami stack and all is well.
My goal today was to install DBI-LINK and hook up to one of our vendor's
Oracle databases. I downloaded ActivePerl 5.10 and used PPM to ensure
that DBI-LINK and the DBD packages are installed (which they are by
default). On to the PostgreSQL side of things..

"createlang plperlu mydatabase"

This failed because it's built against ActivePerl 5.8 instead of 5.10. I
uninstalled 5.10 and downloaded 5.8, and it worked.

"psql -U postgres -f dbi_link.sql mydatabase"

This failed because (funny enough) it wants ActivePerl 5.10 instead of
5.8. I copied "perl58.dll", uninstalled 5.8, reinstalled 5.10, copied
"perl58.dll" into the bin folder, and rebooted. I dropped "mydatabase"
to start things over.

"createlang plperlu mydatabase"

"createlang: language installation failed: server closed the connection
unexpectedly

before or while processing the request."

I'm worse off than before. Two questions..

1. Is there a version of DBI_LINK and "plperl.dll" built against
5.10, or 5.8 as a whole?
2. Is there a complete, sane guide to installing this from start to
finish?

Thanks,

Matthew Hartman
Programmer/Analyst