Re: [HACKERS] postmaster locking issues.

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: "Billy G(dot) Allie" <Bill(dot)Allie(at)mug(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Taral <taral(at)mail(dot)utexas(dot)edu>, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] postmaster locking issues.
Date: 1998-10-12 06:16:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> >> 5. The port lock will be kept in '/var/opt/pgsql/lock/'.

As everyone has pointed out, we can't count on a specific convention for
where the lock file should go. However, we can probably count on a
convention to be followed on a particular OS. That would seem to be
something to define in Makefile.port, which could then be overridden by
a configure option or Makefile.custom entry.

On my RedHat Linux systems, the appropriate place seems to be /var/lock
or /var/lock/pgsql.

- Tom