Re: [HACKERS] backslash in psql output

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] backslash in psql output
Date: 1998-10-10 02:31:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> now the format will be ambigious.
>         test=> insert into test3 values ('\\x');
>         test=> select * from test3;
>         --
>         \x
> This used to show as:
>         --
>         \\x
> Comments?

Well, actually I've been thinking that this is closer to the behavior we
might want (though I haven't looked carefully at the new version). Of
course it bothered me more than it should have, since I misunderstood
where the re-escaping was happening; I had thought it was happening in
the backend.

psql could have an option to re-escape strings, but imho by default
should display what is stored, not what was typed in originally.

pg_dump _should_ re-escape everything, so that it reloads properly.

                     - $0.02 from Tom