Re: [INTERFACES] Applixware ODBC Interface

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: leif(at)danmos(dot)dk
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Applixware ODBC Interface
Date: 1998-07-18 20:00:35
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> Maybe you should get in contact with Sergey E. Levov
> (serg(at)informika(dot)ru).
> I have successfully downloaded and installed his unix pgodbc interface
> Have a look at http://users.ids.net/~bjepson/freeODBC
> and ftp://ftp.informika.ru/pub/unix/db/postgres.
> > Byron, are there any folks who have reported success with your iODBC
> > driver available for consult?
> Well, I did :-). It may not fully implement the ODBC spec., but I
> think it could be a very good starting point. It worked fine for my
> own program (using wxWindows, a free GUI library that does include
> some ODBC interface) though it probably doesn't use all the facilities
> of ODBC.
> I am not an ODBC expert myself, so I don't think I will be able to
> contribute very much myself, but maybe Sergey could?

I would welcome his help. Apparently there are two drivers available?
And you have tried both of them?? I didn't pursue Sergey's because his
web page says that there are not yet docs and implied that they may not
be coming soon.

The driver developed at Insight compiles for both WIN32 and for Unix
systems. Don't know what difficulties that entails, but Byron is the
current maintainer (and was I believe one of the developers) and has
been very responsive to questions and problems.

Anyway, I'll be trying to get something going in the next week or two
and will not be shy about keeping folks up to date on progress :) If
it's OK I'll include you on e-mail and will start copying Sergey too.

Also, Byron, Cary, and Uwe, thanks for your responses. I'll look forward
to your suggestions and assistance getting this going, as your time
allows.

Thanks for your help...

- Tom