Re: stderr & win32 admin check

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>,pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: stderr & win32 admin check
Date: 2004-06-15 13:27:32
Lists: pgsql-patches
"Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> This will prevent PostgreSQL being runable on NT4 by anyone with admin
> privileges, except as a service.

Are we actually supporting NT4?  I recall quite a bit of discussion long
ago about which versions of Windows were really reasonable to support,
but I don't recall if there was a definite outcome.

"Can't run Postgres securely" would be a more-than-sufficient reason
not to support NT4, IMHO.

> I would suggest changing the error to a warning, or perhaps adding a
> command line switch to 'downgrade' the error to a warning, thus forcing
> an explicit action on the part of the user.

See above.  I don't want PG to become the next virus vector.