Re: commit after dead lock

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: commit after dead lock
Date: 2004-01-30 03:50:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com> writes:
> It's not really any different than other errors. The commit doesn't
> complain (although it also doesn't actually commit anything).

People have occasionally suggested that the command tag from a COMMIT
should read "ABORT" or "ROLLBACK" if the transaction was previously
aborted. I don't have a strong feeling about it one way or the other.
It'd clearly be helpful for human users, but I could see it confusing
programs that expect the existing behavior of command tag always
matching command.