Re: why was libpq.so's version number bumped?

From: Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)pingpong(dot)net>
To: Dan Langille <dan(at)langille(dot)org>,Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: why was libpq.so's version number bumped?
Date: 2002-12-30 12:01:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers
--On måndag, december 30, 2002 06.35.22 -0500 Dan Langille
<dan(at)langille(dot)org> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>
>> ps. Why is Postgres 7.3 still in ports/databases/postgresql-devel ??
>
> I forgot one other possible answer: perhaps the port maintainer is taking
> a well deserved holiday?

:)  Well, not really, it is because of the port freeze. I don't maintain
the -devel port, Sean Chittenden does. It seems logical that he maintains
it, since he has commit rights to the ports tree. It was used during
postgresql's beta phase, and it will be removed after the port freeze, only
to resurrect at the next beta phase. This is the plan, anyway. :)

I now know the reason for bumping the so version number. Thanks!

> Since going from 7.2 to 7.3 is a significant upgrade, the FreeBSD guys
> would probablyu be right tho to refuse such a major upgrade...  Still,
> it's a pity though.  Postgres 7.3 has been tested and works fine on
> FreeBSD 5.

True, perhaps, but if the old version has security flaws... Also, since 5.0
is a new major version for FreeBSD, most binaries need relinking to fully
utilize the new system - wouldn't it be clever to have the new postgres
libpq relinked at the same time as well...?

--On måndag, december 30, 2002 06.24.38 -0500 Dan Langille
<dan(at)langille(dot)org> wrote:

> If anything, the ports tree on the CD will contain a reference to 7.2.3.
> PostgreSQL itself is not shipped.  The ports tree can be cvsup'd to the
> latest, when the cvs repository is updated.  At present there is a ports
> freeze.  This is the normal situation just prior to a major release.

Well, on the DVD or four-disk-set, there will be a package of 7.2.3, so in
a way, postgreSQL is actually shipped...

Well, we'll see. 7.3 has been in gnats for some time now. I'll send in the
new 7.3.1 and send a few emails lobbying for it, and let the guys
responsible decide if it a pre- or post-5.0 port...

Cheers,
Palle