Re: [RFC] Unsigned integer support.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Decibel!" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Ryan Bradetich" <rbradetich(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [RFC] Unsigned integer support.
Date: 2008-07-28 23:13:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> "Decibel!" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org> writes:
>> Do we really want to be making it easier for people to wrap numbers  in quotes?

> Currently wrapping numbers in quotes is really the way Postgres expects to get
> them.

Really?

regression=# select '2' + '2';
ERROR:  operator is not unique: unknown + unknown
LINE 1: select '2' + '2';
                   ^
HINT:  Could not choose a best candidate operator. You might need to add explicit type casts.

We've worked really hard to get to a point where interpretation of
literals mostly behaves unsurprisingly.  I think most people would
find it surprising to think that quoting a number is the preferred
way to represent it.