Re: Fixing contrib/isn for float8-pass-by-value

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Stark <greg(dot)stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fixing contrib/isn for float8-pass-by-value
Date: 2008-11-28 22:07:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Stark <greg(dot)stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> I was going to say something like that but couldn't come up with a
> nice syntax. The syntax you gave seems obvious in retrospect.

Here's a draft patch for this. It actually works out pretty well --
the bulk of the diff is just to allow processing the CREATE TYPE
parameters in an order that's independent of the syntax.

> I wonder if this should be tied in some way with creating binary-
> compatible casts or anything. Probably not since the data type can
> just make them itself.

Yeah. I thought for awhile about copying *all* the create-type
parameters from the LIKE type, but soon decided it was a bad idea.
We should keep the inheritance to a minimal level, just the basic
type-storage parameters.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/plain 18.8 KB