a wierd query

From: "ashok(at)kalculate(dot)com" <ashok(at)kalculate(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: a wierd query
Date: 2004-05-13 08:07:08
Lists: pgsql-sql
hi

i have a wierd problem and i require an equally weird query.
1) backgound
  Table test:
    CREATE TABLE main_table (
               string_A varchar( 20),
               string_B varchar( 20),
               );
     -- both columns are identical in nature and usage
     INSERT INTO main_table VALUES('abcd','qrst');
     INSERT INTO main_table VALUES('efgh','efgh');
     INSERT INTO main_table VALUES('ijkl','abcd');
     INSERT INTO main_table VALUES('abcd','ijkl');
     INSERT INTO main_table VALUES('qrst','uvwx');

2) problem:

     i require a query that gives me a result set of the form

   'abcd'
   'efgh'
   'ijkl'
   'qrst'
   'uvwx'

   that is i require the dictinct values from (visualizing each column
result as a set) the union of the two columns

3) questions

   a) is a query like this possible that can give me the desired result
   b) if so what would it be.

4) remarks

    i can get the solution using a temporary table and with repeated
      "insert into temporary select $column from main_table"

thanks in advance

ashok

http://mail2web.com/ .

pgsql-sql by date

Next:From: Silke TrißlDate: 2004-05-13 08:41:10