text field slow to display in pgadmin

From: walty <walty8(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: text field slow to display in pgadmin
Date: 2009-09-26 08:27:04
Lists: pgsql-novice
hi,

I used postgresql (pg 8.3) + django to create a very simple table to store
html contents, since the content is of variable size, I used a text field to
store it. Here is the generated DB table:
---
CREATE TABLE reader_htmlcache
(
  id serial NOT NULL,
  url character varying(8000) NOT NULL,
  "content" text NOT NULL,
  last_updated timestamp with time zone NOT NULL,
  updated_by character varying(50) NOT NULL,
  CONSTRAINT reader_htmlcache_pkey PRIMARY KEY (id)
)
WITH (
  OIDS=FALSE
);
ALTER TABLE reader_htmlcache OWNER TO postgres;
---

However, when I try to inspect the data inside PgAdmin3 (either though data
browsing / query window), the display is extremely slow, i.e. it took 5
seconds to display 10 rows, and the text field of "content" is shown empty.

I tried the PgAdmin on both windows & mac, and it's the same. However, for
other tables that does have more columns but no text field, it took less
than one second to display the data (more than 100 rows).

Also, the app works fine, i.e., when web server try to access the data in
backend via python code, the response is OK.

It seems that it is slow ONLY  when I try to use PgAdmin to view the data.
And I checked the preference, and it only showes first 256 characters of
column (In fact it does not display any).

I searched Google a while, and did not find anything trivial.

Any advice please?

Thanks a lot.

--
have a nice day
walty

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Sergey SamokhinDate: 2009-09-26 13:51:54