Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.2 running as NT service under Windows XP not always

From: s0lao(at)netscape(dot)net (S(dot) L(dot))
To: frank(at)mail(dot)wvnet(dot)edu (Frank Seesink), pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.2 running as NT service under Windows XP not always
Date: 2003-05-28 06:24:20
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Frank,

(Sorry for my ugly quotation of the previous message)

[...]
> That's a possibility, but it too has its limitations. First (and quite
>critical), where exactly would this script be positioned?
[...]

The sole intention was to present an answer to your P.S., i.e. a script to install as a NT/W2K service with cygrunsrv and then remains active. Installed as you said, as a service so that postmaster depends on it.

[...]
>Second, it appears this is an infinite loop, sucking CPU time
>all day long. Not my personal idea of efficiency.
[...]

Actually all the services do that :)). Such a "service" launched in a rxvt window on a w98se consumes a peak of 5 % of CPU when shell is launched after each 15 seconds (having 1 % consumed near all the time by the rxvt window).

[...]
> The point is simply that NT/2000/XP does not appear to provide a clean
>mechanism by which you can introduce commands/scripts during the
>startup/shutdown sequence.
[...]

Agreed.

[...]
> I have no interest in debates over whether Cygwin users need to be good
>Unix-types, or the whole "Winblows sucks" routine.
[...]

Agreed, also.

SLao