Re: New to Postgresql - Backend timeout /JDBC

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Peter V(dot) Cooper" <pvcooper(at)gte(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New to Postgresql - Backend timeout /JDBC
Date: 2002-01-31 16:55:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs
"Peter V. Cooper" <pvcooper(at)gte(dot)net> writes:
> I am told that the backend to postgresql will automatically
> timeout and close a JDBC client connection.

There is most certainly no such timeout in the backend.  Who told
you that?

We do run TCP connections with SO_KEEPALIVE set, which will cause
the connection to be timed out if the far-end kernel stops responding
for a sufficiently long time (IIRC, the RFC-mandated timeout is on
the order of an hour).  I doubt this would be likely to cause any
problems, though.  Certainly a slow application would not cause a
failure at the TCP level.