Re: Binary tx format for an array?

From: "Michael Guyver" <kenevel(at)googlemail(dot)com>
To: pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Binary tx format for an array?
Date: 2006-06-23 12:47:11
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
> > :) good question, I'm sure I'll stare it in the face soon enough. At
> > the moment I'm labouring under the impression that individual
> > parameters can be specified as binary or text.
>
> Unfortunately this is not possible. :( And one of the reasons that
> I've not spent a lot of time on this.

Hi Dave,

the page Message Formats
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/protocol-message-formats.html)
specifies that the bind message should send the following for each
parameter:

    Int16 - The number of parameter format codes that follow (denoted
C below). This can be zero to indicate that there are no parameters or
that the parameters all use the default format (text); or one, in
which case the specified format code is applied to all parameters; or
it can equal the actual number of parameters.

    Int16[C] - The parameter format codes. Each must presently be zero
(text) or one (binary).

Does your understanding of the spec mean that the Int16[C] must either
be an array containg all zero's, or all ones? It reads as though these
can be mixed.