Re: su not working with psql

From: The PandaWare Company <lists(at)pandaware(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: su not working with psql
Date: 2009-08-18 21:33:40
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Aug 18, 2009, at 2:30 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> The PandaWare Company <lists(at)pandaware(dot)com> writes:
>> The only thing I added to the default file was a line to permit IPv4
>> connections from hosts on my LAN.
>
> Please show us the actual file, rather than suppressing details that
> you
> think are irrelevant.
>
> (In this particular instance, the reason your answer is unhelpful is
> that the default file contents are variable.)

I didn't realize that. Here are the entire file contents:

# PostgreSQL Client Authentication Configuration File
# ===================================================
#
# Refer to the "Client Authentication" section in the
# PostgreSQL documentation for a complete description
# of this file.  A short synopsis follows.
#
# This file controls: which hosts are allowed to connect, how clients
# are authenticated, which PostgreSQL user names they can use, which
# databases they can access.  Records take one of these forms:
#
# local      DATABASE  USER  METHOD  [OPTION]
# host       DATABASE  USER  CIDR-ADDRESS  METHOD  [OPTION]
# hostssl    DATABASE  USER  CIDR-ADDRESS  METHOD  [OPTION]
# hostnossl  DATABASE  USER  CIDR-ADDRESS  METHOD  [OPTION]
#
# (The uppercase items must be replaced by actual values.)
#
# The first field is the connection type: "local" is a Unix-domain
socket,
# "host" is either a plain or SSL-encrypted TCP/IP socket, "hostssl"
is an
# SSL-encrypted TCP/IP socket, and "hostnossl" is a plain TCP/IP socket.
#
# DATABASE can be "all", "sameuser", "samerole", a database name, or
# a comma-separated list thereof.
#
# USER can be "all", a user name, a group name prefixed with "+", or
# a comma-separated list thereof.  In both the DATABASE and USER fields
# you can also write a file name prefixed with "@" to include names from
# a separate file.
#
# CIDR-ADDRESS specifies the set of hosts the record matches.
# It is made up of an IP address and a CIDR mask that is an integer
# (between 0 and 32 (IPv4) or 128 (IPv6) inclusive) that specifies
# the number of significant bits in the mask.  Alternatively, you can
write
# an IP address and netmask in separate columns to specify the set of
hosts.
#
# METHOD can be "trust", "reject", "md5", "crypt", "password",
# "krb5", "ident", "pam" or "ldap".  Note that "password" sends
passwords
# in clear text; "md5" is preferred since it sends encrypted passwords.
#
# OPTION is the ident map or the name of the PAM service, depending on
METHOD.
#
# Database and user names containing spaces, commas, quotes and other
special
# characters must be quoted. Quoting one of the keywords "all",
"sameuser" or
# "samerole" makes the name lose its special character, and just match a
# database or username with that name.
#
# This file is read on server startup and when the postmaster receives
# a SIGHUP signal.  If you edit the file on a running system, you have
# to SIGHUP the postmaster for the changes to take effect.  You can use
# "pg_ctl reload" to do that.

# Put your actual configuration here
# ----------------------------------
#
# If you want to allow non-local connections, you need to add more
# "host" records. In that case you will also need to make PostgreSQL
listen
# on a non-local interface via the listen_addresses configuration
parameter,
# or via the -i or -h command line switches.
#

# CAUTION: Configuring the system for local "trust" authentication
allows
# any local user to connect as any PostgreSQL user, including the
database
# superuser. If you do not trust all your local users, use another
# authentication method.

# TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD

local   all         all                               trust
# IPv4 local connections:
host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          trust
host    all         all         10.0.0.0/24          trust
# IPv6 local connections:
host    all         all         ::1/128               trust