Re: How to update from 8.1 to 8.2 ?

From: Carol Walter <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu>
To: Chris Hoover <revoohc(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Milen A(dot) Radev" <milen(at)radev(dot)net>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to update from 8.1 to 8.2 ?
Date: 2007-09-21 15:30:23
Lists: pgsql-admin
Chris,

Perhaps I wasn't clear on what we did.  We loaded the 8.2 and got it
running on a different zone on the same machine running Solaris.  I
should have said we did a pg_dumpall using the 8.1 data.  ( I know
there is a big difference.)  Anyway, I did the pg_dumpall (using the
correct version, the new version.) of the live data and uploaded it
to the 8.2 instance.  The 8.1 instance was still running.  Both
systems automount the same dirs.  We were able to put the data from
the 8.1 instance onto a directory that the 8.2 instance could see,
which made the cut over very quick and the production system just had
to be down long enough to stop and restart.  I had already modified
the conf files and we didn't blow them away so we were good to go.  I
just froze data entry from when I started the dump until the new
instance was available.  That meant people could still select data
from the website.  After the 8.2 instance was up and running and
everything looked like in came over correctly, we shut down the 8.1
instance.

Sorry about the confusion.

Carol