Re: Microsoft releses Services for Unix

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Microsoft releses Services for Unix
Date: 2004-01-24 17:34:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
> Yes, of course. Otherwise we have all been wasting our time very badly
;-)

> In fact, it's quite important that all work be tested from a Windows
> command prompt, and not just from inside Mingw. I know I found
numerous
> errors that I corrected that way.

For fun, I've been porting postgres 7.4.1 to Interix and I'm about 99%
of the way through it.   There were some problems with configure and I
had to do a lot of things by hand.

It turns out that Interix 3.5 is still missing a few things, notably
sync() (but not threads)... :(.  I didn't know this going into it, and a
kernel based sync() was one of the major reasons that the Interix port
had the potential to be better/faster than a 'native' port (they do,
however have ipc & signals, and other helpful things).

So even if it was hypothetically possible to link to the interix libs
and release the port without the runtime installation (it isn't), we
would probably have chosen the current path anyways.

Still, the presence of Interix gives windows developers another
choice...because of the improved ipc support, it will probably outclass
the cygwin version.  In cases where SFU is already part of their IT
dept, it may be the best choice.

wrt MinGW, using it drives me crazy because it throws up console windows
that steal the focus when I am compiling.  Is their any way to prevent
this?

Merlin

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date

Subject: Re: What's left?