Re: Elocution

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Elocution
Date: 2002-12-10 18:47:05
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

I think that is a very astute observation. IMHO the only advantage
mysql has left is the very most important one, windows compatibility. I
think many people underestimate just how distasteful it is for most
windows users it is to run a cygwin installation of anything, much less
a production database (even for development purposes). If you hop over
to the ports and cygwin lists you will find tons of issues, even very
basic ones, with cygwin installations.

I personally think a win32 will instantly catapult postgresql into
superstar status and bring in legions of developers who are dissatisfied
with Microsoft products. It will also make postgres a member of a very
small club of full feature databases that you can package and ship with
a commercial application.

Merlin