student learning pgsql/linux5.0 redhat

From: tony mencevski <tonym(at)isp(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: student learning pgsql/linux5.0 redhat
Date: 1998-12-20 10:40:08
Lists: pgsql-ports

version postgresql = v6.3.2 ,(version shipped with linux redhat5.0)
o/s = linux redhat5.0

After installing postgresql,postgresql-clients,postgresql-data by "Package
Management with RPM' I am have problems understading the system layout as
shown in www.postgresql.org/doc/postgres/layout.html.
On my system I am unable to find 'all' the files belonging to postgresql.
I can find /var/lib/pgsql files, but that is all, my drive is divided up
like this:-
/dev/hda1 = /
/dev/hda8 = /usr
/dev/hda5 = /usr/local
/dev/hda6 = /var

Also during the boot process the system starts executing some runlevel
scripts
& during this it outputs a messages that looks something like this:
"Executing some Sysv init scripts
Executing: /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S85postgresql start
*Fatal: StreamServerPort: bind() failed:errno=98
* is another postmaster already running on the port
* If not, remove socket node (/tmp/.s.pgsql.<portnr>)and retry
* /usr/bin/postmaster: cannot create Unix stream port
>starting postmaster service:postmaster [ ]

A] How can I check to see if another postmaster service is running, and how
do I resolve this issue.

B] Where is the startup script for postgreqsl normally stored.

c] Thank You for you time !