RE: Full text Indexing -out of contrib and into main..

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, "'Hannu Krosing'" <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, john huttley <john(at)mwk(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: RE: Full text Indexing -out of contrib and into main..
Date: 2000-11-28 14:41:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers
At 10:52 AM 11/28/00 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> > b) Check out MSSQL 7's  capabilities and weep.
>>
>> BTW, have you studied MSSQL enough to tell me if it has a
>> separate/standalone
>> (as a process) fti engine or just another index type.
>It is standalone - separate process, data is stored in separate files (not
>in db).
>
>In SQL Server 7.0, you also have to manually update the index. Just updating
>the values in the table does *NOT* update the index. (Can be scheduled, of
>course, but not live)
>In SQL Server 2000 the index can be auto-updated when rows change, but it's
>not default.

This is similar to Oracle's InterMedia.  In practice, using auto-update on a
busy, live website is impractical, though how much this is due to InterMedia's
being flakey and how much due to the computational expense isn't clear (or rather
IM's so flakey one can't really explore enough to see how expensive
auto-update on a busy site would be).

  http://donb.photo.net.

pgsql-hackers by date

Next:From: Don BaccusDate: 2000-11-28 14:44:21