where clause question

From: Scott Frankel <leknarf(at)pacbell(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: where clause question
Date: 2009-09-04 13:47:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

Is it possible to perform selects in a where clause of a statement?

Given a statement as follows:

SELECT foo.foo_id, foo.name
FROM foo, bar
WHERE foo.bar_id = bar.bar_id
AND bar.name = 'martini';

I'm looking for a way to recast it so that the select and from clauses
refer to a single table and the join referencing the second table
occurs in the where clause. For example, something like this:

SELECT foo.foo_id, foo.name
FROM foo
WHERE (SELECT * FROM foo, bar WHERE ...)
foo.bar_id = bar.bar_id
AND bar.name = 'martini';

I've explored the "where exists" clause, but it's not supported by the
application toolkit I'm using. AFAIK, I've only got access to where ...

Thanks in advance!
Scott