Re: how much mem to give postgres?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Close <narshe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: POSTGRES-PERFORMANCE <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: how much mem to give postgres?
Date: 2004-10-20 04:35:31
Lists: pgsql-performance
Josh Close <narshe(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to get my postgres server
> moving faster. It's just crawling right now.

I suspect that fooling with shared_buffers is entirely the wrong tree
for you to be barking up.  My suggestion is to be looking at individual
queries that are slow, and seeing how to speed those up.  This might
involve adding indexes, or tweaking the query source, or adjusting
planner parameters, or several other things.  EXPLAIN ANALYZE is your
friend ...