Re: BUG #3258: Password fails, RPM installs in wrong directory

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Phil Criley" <pfcriley(at)pcwright(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3258: Password fails, RPM installs in wrong directory
Date: 2007-04-30 16:58:39
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Phil Criley" <pfcriley(at)pcwright(dot)com> writes:
> We run FC5 on a server. PostgreSQL does not accept passwords when set to
> md5, I deleted version 8.1 and installed the latest, 8.2 from source. That's
> when I discovered that the install script in Fedora's RPM put postgreSQL in
> the /var/lib/pgsql but the default installation from the source puts it in
> /usr/local/pgsql. PostgreSQL apparently is hard coded to look in
> /usr/local/pgsql for its data.

There is no "hard coding" about it; it's just a matter of what -D switch
the postmaster is started with.

> I cannot figure out how to add it as a
> service without using the RPM.

Perhaps you should use the RPM distribution then.

ftp://ftp8.us.postgresql.org/postgresql/binary/v8.2.4/linux/rpms/fedora/

The source distribution is platform-agnostic and does not include a
Fedora-style start script, so unless you are prepared to provide one,
an RPM is a better idea.