Re: preliminary testing, two very slow situations...

From: "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: <mt_pgsql(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: preliminary testing, two very slow situations...
Date: 2002-12-31 23:05:27
Lists: pgsql-performance
Michael Teter said:
> I've used PostgreSQL in the past on a small project,
> and I thought it was great.
>
> Now I'm trying to evaluate it as a possible
> replacement for MS SQL Server.

[ ... ]

What version of PostgreSQL are you using?

Have you made any changes to the default configuration parameters? If not,
that's probably the first thing to look at. Several settings (e.g.
shared_buffers) are set to very conservative values by default. You can
also consider trading some reliability for better performance by disabling
fsync.

For more info on configuration, see:

http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/runtime-config.html

Another low-hanging fruit is kernel configuration. For example, what OS
and kernel are you using? Have you enabled DMA? What filesystem are you
using?

Cheers,

Neil