Re: limiting connections per user/database

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Petr Jelínek <pjmodos(at)parba(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: limiting connections per user/database
Date: 2005-06-25 21:41:26
Lists: pgsql-patches
=?ISO-8859-2?Q?Petr_Jel=EDnek?= <pjmodos(at)parba(dot)cz> writes:
> patch I attached allows to set connectin limits per user or per database
> (it's on TODO list).

I don't think this is going to work.  The first problem with it is that
it changes pgstats from an optional into a required part of the system.
The second is that since the pgstats output lags well behind the actual
state of the system, it'll be at best a very approximate limit on the
number of connections.  Perhaps for some people that's good enough, but
I kinda doubt it's what the people asking for the feature have in mind.