Re: wording for Simple CASE and Searched CASE

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andreas Wenk <a(dot)wenk(at)netzmeister-st-pauli(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: wording for Simple CASE and Searched CASE
Date: 2009-08-14 21:18:20
Lists: pgsql-docs
Andreas Wenk <a(dot)wenk(at)netzmeister-st-pauli(dot)de> writes:
> I find it a little confusing how Simple CASE and
> Searched CASE is described. In Simple CASE is written

Hmm, it would be important to keep this in sync with the core-SQL
description of CASE, no?  (Section 9.16.1)

I can't say that I think "simple CASE" and "searched CASE" are good
descriptions of the two forms, but just switching them doesn't make it
much better.  And doing so would likely create as much confusion as
it eliminates.  Can we come up with some other phrases?