Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches
Date: 2008-09-26 22:23:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I am confused how knowing that a sequence number used for a primary key
> exists or doesn't exist is leaking _meaningful_ information. People
> might know the sequence number exists, but how is that information
> useful. Now, if natural keys are used, that is a different story.

Right. It might be that securing a database requires not just some
security mechanisms but also some database design rules (like "don't
allow foreign keys except on synthetic IDs"). But it seems to me that
we are just flailing around in the dark because we don't have that
bigger picture of how the features would actually get used.

The literature pointers that Andrew just gave us seem promising to me.
Who's going to go searching for some useful info?