Re: returning multiple result sets from a stored procedure

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: John Adams <john_adams_mail(at)yahoo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: returning multiple result sets from a stored procedure
Date: 2010-09-03 20:18:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> I noticed in postgres you cannot return multiple result sets from a
>> stored procedure (surprisingly as it looks like a very good dbms).

> That feature has been on the TODO list for years. However, nobody has
> stepped forward to either write it, or to fund working on it. If your
> company has programmers or money to build this feature, it could
> probably get done fairly quickly (as in, next version).

Part of the reason it's sat on TODO is lack of consensus about how such
a feature ought to look/work; particularly since most of the discussion
about it has considered that it'd go along with stored procedures
executing outside of transactions. It's not just a matter of needing to
find some programming manpower.