Re: Report: Linux huge pages with Postgres

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Kenneth Marshall <ktm(at)rice(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Report: Linux huge pages with Postgres
Date: 2010-11-29 00:47:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 12:12 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Really you do want to scrape the value.

> Couldn't we just round the shared memory allocation down to a multiple
> of 4MB? That would handle all older architectures where the size is
> 2MB or 4MB.

Rounding *down* will not work, at least not without extremely invasive
changes to the shmem allocation code.  Rounding up is okay, as long as
you don't mind some possibly-wasted space.

> I see online that IA64 supports larger page sizes up to 256MB but then
> could we make it the user's problem if they change their hugepagesize
> to a larger value to pick a value of shared_buffers that will fit
> cleanly? We might need to rejigger things so that the shared memory
> segment is exactly the size of shared_buffers and any other shared
> data structures are in a separate segment though for that to work.

Two shmem segments would be a pretty serious PITA too, certainly a lot
more so than a few lines to read a magic number from /proc.

But this is all premature pending a demonstration that there's enough
potential gain here to be worth taking any trouble at all.  The one
set of numbers we have says otherwise.