Re: Question about fixes and updates

From: Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: <ksrinivas(at)coriendo(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question about fixes and updates
Date: 2007-07-31 01:52:17
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Jul 30, 2007, at 3:20 AM, Srinivas Kotapally wrote:
> I just wanted to know if the patches that are applied to Postgres
> are back ported to earlier versions?  For example, I run the last
> stable release in version 8.1... 8.1.9?  Do I need to upgrade to
> 8.2.x to benefit from the patches? Or is there a latest 8.1.9
> binary that I can download and refresh my installation?  Please
> advise.

Only bugfixes are backported, depending on the severity of the bug
and how hard it is to fix in older versions. Security issues are also
backpatched. If you look for threads of messages in pgsql-commit,
that will give you an idea of what gets backported (though often
threads are just discussions; you may have to hunt to find some
backpatching ones).
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel(at)decibel(dot)org