Re: F_SETLK is looking worse and worse...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Matthew Kirkwood <matthew(at)hairy(dot)beasts(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: F_SETLK is looking worse and worse...
Date: 2000-11-29 15:55:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Matthew Kirkwood <matthew(at)hairy(dot)beasts(dot)org> writes:
> Surely the lock file could easily go somewhere other than
> /tmp, since it won't be breaking existing setups?

Such as where?

Given the fact that the recent UUNET patch allows the DBA to put the
socket files anywhere, it seems simplest to say that the lockfiles go
in the same directory as the socket files. Anything else is going to
be mighty confusing and probably unworkable. For example, it's not
a good idea to say we'll use a fixed directory for lockfiles regardless
of where the socket file is --- that would prevent people from starting
multiple postmasters with the same logical port number and different
socket directories, something that's really perfectly reasonable (at
least in UUNET's view of the world ;-)).