Re: BUG #5250: Tutorial examples(pre-compiled) not present with precompiled binary version of PostgreSQL.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashish Anand <Ashish(dot)The(dot)Dev(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5250: Tutorial examples(pre-compiled) not present with precompiled binary version of PostgreSQL.
Date: 2009-12-22 19:53:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs
> Tom Lane escribi:
>> It looks to me like the unmodified Makefile builds the .sql files
>> on the assumption they will be used *in the source tree*.  So basically
>> no installer could use that as-is anyway.

> Sounds like something that should be fixed upstream, if someone is
> sufficiently interested.

First thing we'd have to figure out is what behavior we want instead.
There are at least two places in the manual that actually say these
files are in the source tree, so it's not just a minor coding detail.

(In fact, I think at least part of the intention is to have the user
learn how to build functions from source, so possibly the right question
to ask is why *should* these be shipped in binary builds?)