Re: Brittleness in regression test setup

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Brittleness in regression test setup
Date: 2008-11-25 15:50:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> One thing we should do is have pg_regress.c, not the Makefile,
>> select the default port to use.  The concatenate-5 behavior is
>> just not intelligent enough.

> How about something like this, constructing a port number from the
> version and a timestamp?  We could also take 2 more bits from the
> version and give it to the timestamp, which would make this a bit safer,
> I think.

I'd vote for keeping the --temp-port option but not having the Makefile
use it.  Seems like it'd still be potentially useful for hand use of
pg_regress.

Also, like Alvaro I'm thinking that a retry is really needed.  As this
patch stands you'd be vulnerable to random, unrepeatable failures
anytime you picked a port that happened to be in use for something else.