Re: pgsql/src/interfaces/odbc/windev README.txt bi ...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql/src/interfaces/odbc/windev README.txt bi ...
Date: 2002-01-11 04:14:53
Lists: pgsql-committers
Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Why don't you just make a branch and merge
>> it after 7.3 is branched?

> Yes it's similar. However is it allowed to make such a
> branch in the first place ?

Sure, CVS supports that.  We have not done it in the past in the
Postgres project, but there's not a reason why you couldn't do it
if you wanted.

However: the only reason I can see for putting stuff into CVS is for
cooperative development.  Is there anyone else who will be working with
you on the 7.3 ODBC code before we make the "official" branch for 7.3
development?  If not, you aren't buying anything by putting this stuff
in CVS now, rather than keeping it in your own private files until 7.3
development starts.  All you're doing is creating confusion among other
developers.  (And bloating the official 7.2 tarball, when it comes out)