Re: small changes to autovacuum maintainance

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: small changes to autovacuum maintainance
Date: 2005-09-16 04:59:17
Lists: pgsql-patches
Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:
> On a related note to that, I am wondering if it might be better to have the
> postmaster issue a fatal error on startup if autovacuum is on and stats are
> off, rather than the warning it does now.

Given that you can turn off the stats after startup, the above seems
fairly useless.

If we want to be nanny-ish about this, we should implement an interlock
that forces the stats settings on permanently if autovac is enabled.
(However, past experience with trying to force interrelationships of GUC
variables hasn't been too positive...)