Re: [INTERFACES] Re: thread-safe libpq and DBD::Pg

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Goran Thyni <goran(at)bildbasen(dot)se>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Re: thread-safe libpq and DBD::Pg
Date: 1998-08-11 14:51:43
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Goran Thyni <goran(at)bildbasen(dot)se> writes:
> * A "pure perl"-interface is useful for
> - systems without decent C-compiler
> - systems not supported by libpq
> (there is already a pure TCL interface, isn't it?)

I agree that a "pure Perl" or "pure Tcl" front end would be more
easily portable than what we have. It'd probably be slower, but
maybe not so much slower as to be a problem.

The present libpgtcl is NOT pure Tcl --- it is a C-coded Tcl extension,
besides which it is layered on top of libpq.

I think I remember someone speculating about writing a pure Tcl
front end by programming directly to the socket-level FE/BE interface,
but I haven't heard about any results.