Re: Type Categories for User-Defined Types

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Type Categories for User-Defined Types
Date: 2008-07-29 22:35:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
> "David E. Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com> writes:
>> Anyway, would this issue then go away once the type stuff was added
>> and citext was specified as TYPE = 'S'?

> Yeah, that's the point of the proposal.

BTW, I did confirm (by temporarily hacking up TypeCategory()) that
causing citext to appear to be of STRING category eliminates the need
for the extra || operator and quote_literal() function that are in
the current citext code.  So the proposed solution really will work.

You might still want to keep the aliases in cases where the point is to
have the function or operator output resolve as citext rather than text.
I'm not sure how many of these cases that's really important for,
though.