Re: Multiple Servers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chris Cameron <chris(at)upnix(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multiple Servers
Date: 2001-08-21 00:41:39
Lists: pgsql-admin

Chris Cameron <chris(at)upnix(dot)com> writes:
> I have a client who's looking to start using PostgreSQL. Unlike MySQL,
> Postgres doesn't have the best (in my opionion) setup for letting multiple
> users develop using the same server.

?? Possibly you're just poorly informed. You can easily give each of
them their own database under a single server. Or, if you want a really
airtight separation between users, give 'em each their own postmaster
(separate port number and data directory for each postmaster). I'd say
separate postmasters would only be necessary if you expected the users
to crash their servers regularly --- which one hopes they can't --- or
if you want to give them superuser privileges without thereby trusting
them not to muck up each others' databases.

Since I don't know much about MySQL administration, I don't know what
you find superior in its setup options, but I'd be interested to hear.