Re: 9.2 release notes, beta time?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.2 release notes, beta time?
Date: 2012-04-13 16:51:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 11:23 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>> When do you think we will be ready for 9.2
>> beta?

> Well, we've got a bunch of open issues, but most of them don't look
> *too* serious. If everyone dropped what they're doing and worked on
> them, I think we could be done in 2 weeks, but realistically I think
> it's likely to take 1-2 months.

Well, I would sure like to see a beta out sooner than that. I don't
think we necessarily have to resolve every known open issue before
we put out beta1. I believe we do need to resolve anything that would
force initdb (such as Peter's bytea_agg change), and of course we need
to write release notes so that beta testers know what to test.

At the same time, I'd like to light a fire under people to deal with
the open issues. I agree that it will take some time for all of
them to get dealt with, but it doesn't help if the responsible hackers
are procrastinating.