Re: Re: xReader, double-effort (was: Temporary tables under hot standby)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Aakash Goel <aakash(dot)bits(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: xReader, double-effort (was: Temporary tables under hot standby)
Date: 2012-04-28 15:06:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Translating WAL is a very hard task.

No kidding.  I would think it's impossible on its face.  Just for
starters, where will you get table and column names from?  (Looking at
the system catalogs is cheating, and will not work reliably anyway.)

IMO, if we want non-physical replication, we're going to need to build
it in at a higher level than after-the-fact processing of WAL.
I foresee wasting quite a lot of effort on the currently proposed
approaches before we admit that they're unworkable.